Archbishop Lucas addresses the twin evils of clerical sex abuse and the abuse of power in our Church.
- Acknowledging the problems, resolving to address accountability of bishops (0:00 - 5:00)
- "I think it's fair to say the institutional Church has failed our people in this area." (5:15 - 5:48)
- Ensuring a safe environment in the Archdiocese of Omaha through training, reporting, and cooperation with law enforcement (5:49 - 9:50)
- Auditing and compliance with the Dallas Charter, archdiocesan Review Board (10:07 - 11:24)
- What's broken in the system of reporting bishops' misconduct? (11:25 - 14:28)
- Archbishop Lucas' experience in his previous diocese dealing with a bishop's scandalous conduct. (14:29 - 17:21)
- Prayer as an active response to sin and scandal. Not just "pious talk". (18:03 - 22:15)
- The challenge our seminarians face. Archbishop's conversation with them, expectations for formation (22:20 - 23:49)
- Archbishop's instruction to seminarians: "Raise hell" if you see grave offenses against chastity. (23:50 - 26:35)
- Be free and live in the truth. Don't cooperate with evil. Encourage one another in virtue. (27:16 - 30:46)
- Archbishop offers a closing prayer for victims of abuse and for the whole Church. (31:33 - 33:07)
This episode was recorded on August 24, 2018.
_Abuse by a member of the clergy or another Church employee should be reported to law enforcement. Additionally, anyone concerned about the actions of clergy or any Church worker should contact our Manager of Victim Outreach and Prevention, Mary Beth Hanus, at 402-827-3798 or toll-free at 1-888-808-9055. _